Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Letting the photo shine

If you've visited my blog before, you know that I love big pictures. I cannot lie. (Heh.) If a photo strikes me in some way, I print it large--8x10, 8x12, 12x12--and scrap it. And mostly I scrap directly on the photo.

The layout I posted yesterday was a good example of that. I didn't have a particular story to go with it, but I loved it, and eventually a story came to me. This photo is another good example of the type of photo I scrap big:


 I love to photograph people from behind candidly. I think it captures  relationships and moments within big events well. Here I love that my dad is helping my son learn to fish. I used an action on it (Pioneer Woman Colorized, I think?) to make it seem more nostalgic, printed it 8x10, and scrapped it.

I used Fancy Pants Designs' new collection Be Different. It's bright and colorful, which added some sweetness to the page. Though it's a line targeting little boys, I love the jeweled colors and find it to be versatile.





You'll notice I overlapped elements onto the photo.  When I started scrapbooking in 2002, a big thing people kept talking about was to make sure there are no "floating elements" on the page, so everything should be "nailed down" with something else--brads, eyelets, photo turns, etc. This may be why I instinctively overlap elements on a page. It just feels natural.

Thank you for checking out my page! I am planning on sending it to my father for his birthday. I'll be back later this week to share more of the pages I made at my scrap retreat last weekend.

No comments: