Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cold corner in my heart

The cold corner I wrote about last week disappeared this weekend--it got downright warm, about 20 degrees! The cold corner returned this morning, as evidenced by the temp on the evening news:


Yes, it says -0 degrees. That's cold. The weather is supposed to warm back up into the twenties, which is nice, because the cold corner, though gone from the door, has settled in my heart.

Roswell is dying.

None of the medications have helped stop her chewing her feet apart. She's getting more gimpy and doesn't like getting up. Last weekend, we finally got an answer from the doggie dermatologist (yes, there are such things):

Liver disease. She has about 2-4 months left tops.

The doctor prescribed some pain meds, and we're going back for another blood test this weekend (last week's blood sugar was so low, it made the vet think it may have been a mistake; either that or her liver is much worse, which I'm sorely hoping is not true). The past few days I've been reminiscing and crying. Unfortunately, raising a dog means not just committing yourself to its life but also to its death, and it appears that time is soon approaching for Roswell.

I have a few ways I want to remember her, one of which is putting together a memory mini-album of all the things around the house that remind me of Roswell. Thank you, Alexandra, for the gift; when you gave it to me in October, you never knew how much it would help me deal with the sorrow right now.

Here's some layouts I have done about her recently and older layouts:




The last layout had been published in the final issue of Simple Scrapbooks. Unfortunately, I never got the layout back. I still wish I would get some apology or recompense from CK, but truth be told, a layout is a thing. The memory is still there, so I will remake this one layout. I don't have all the supplies, unfortunately, but I will make do.

7 comments:

alisonm said...

Jennifer, I am sending warm hugs from Maine to you and your family. I sincerely hope that the little time you have with Roswell is pain free. Please keep us posted.

GLOANN said...

So sorry about Roswell. Glad you have all the pics and the good memories. And wish that someway your LO would be returned from CK. Probably not going to happen though.

Diana said...

So sad about your dog. And about your LO not being returned. That's baaaad.
Incidentally, I saw you got published in the latest CK and was going to congratulate you. Perhaps you could use that link to get your LO back?

CreativeChretin said...

Sorry about your dog! :( I'm sorry that you don't have your LO either. That would definitely make me upset, but you have a good attitude about it!

csewy-csescrap13 said...

Jennifer,
I am truly sorry to hear about Roswell. Our pets are such a part of families and it hurts when we lose them. Great layouts of Roswell!!

desi said...

So sorry to hear about your Doggie. Our pets do become such a major part of our lives, just like a family member. Losing them is just as hard. Hang onto those great memories. On a lighter note, I too saw your recent pub in CK magazine...congrats. Great LOs.

scrapdoc said...

So sorry to hear about your dog being ill. Sounds like you have made some great memories together. Also sad about your layout. If you want to recreate the layout, maybe if you posted the supplies you don't have, some of us could check and send it to you.