Saturday, July 12, 2014

Husband scrapbooking

My husband Derick has a birthday approaching. He's pretty hard to buy presents for. Like most guys--maybe most people--he loves getting super expensive technology, but I'm not getting him that. My older boy is getting braces this month. My husband also doesn't drop hints about what he likes. We went camping recently and he actually mentioned he wanted a bigger screen tent and a new camping chair. My ears perked up, and I've been thinking about getting him those for his birthday when his latest purchase came in the mail:


Yes, this is chain mail. A chain mail dish cloth with which to clean cast iron pans.

At that point I just gave up. What seemed to be a great present because he'd dropped a big hint would  pale next to chain mail. Near despair, I wondered what I could do.

And then my husband came home to tell me that he's found the perfect present for him. And it involved scrapbooking:


(Let's take a moment to appreciate that this woman got pictures with herself and Nathan Fillion and both Winchesters. Wow. Just wow.)

This image is from a Kickstarter for a scrapbook specific for people who go to gaming conventions and Comic Cons who want a place to put their memorabilia and photos. Here's the link: Con*Quest Adventure Journal. It's a pretty nice book with a variety of page types--pocket pages, photo pages, journaling/drawing pages--not unlike the pocket scrapbooks that are popular today, only this one is designed for convention geeks, just like my husband. For years he's gone to GenCon in Indianapolis (and before that Milwaukee) with his gaming buddies, and for years I've tried to persuade him to let me put the photos and memorabilia in a small scrapbook for him. He's refused, but it finally looks like I may have turned him to the dark side.

My present to my husband is not backing this journal--he already did that (typical). My present is blogging about this Kickstarter and pinning it to hopefully get the word out so that it will be made.

If you are interested or know a convention geek who might appreciate this as a gift, please back this Kickstarter and spread the word. I'm hoping that this woman will get the backing she needs so that my husband can join me in my hobby--at least once a year.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Thank you so much for this awesome post! I'm so glad your husband found our Kickstarter, these journals are my passion. I was never a scrapbooker before so I wanted the book to be easy enough to do for those who don't want to spend a lot of time on it, but also fun for people who do scrapbook. By the way, I have made it my mission to get a least one really awesome photo-op at each con we go to... you know for the good of the journal (wink, wink). Thanks again!