Friday, January 10, 2014

Similar photos, same kit, different looks

I have subscribed to the Studio Calico scrapbooking kit for a while; I mention this because I find myself having to use up my kit before the next kit comes. It's just my rule: I like using things up. Here's what I did with the end of my December kit.*

Since I wanted to do a fishing page for each boy's album, I pulled all the papers from the kit that I thought would look good with a fishing page (mostly blues and greens). Now was the tricky part: It doesn't satisfy me to do the exact same page for each boy. The photos were similar, so I knew some elements would be close between the two pages. Here's what I ended up doing with the first page:


The patterned paper that was left over came in strips. I laid them on top of each other, then laid the photos over them. I was going for jaunty with the tilt. Then I added a title and added some scallop stitching using my old Bazzill stitching template. I added embellishments from the kit and my stash, then typed out my journaling and adhered it. Here's some details:



The next layout, my biggest concern was not making it look the same. I changed the orientation from vertical to horizontal and choose a bigger base strip to start out. I also chose different letter stickers and embellishments, though I did something similar with journaling strips. Here's the page:


I think the background paper (in this case white and on the other page kraft) made a big difference in making the pages look different, even though the photos and papers were basically the same.

Thank you for checking out my pages! I know this might be a problem specific to parents who need to scrap the same event for different albums, but I hope it gave you ideas for switching the design up a bit, even with similar products.

*Technically, these weren't the last pages I made with the kit. I'm working on a two-pager that right now is kicking my butt, and I am creating my February Write Click Scrapbook page using some leftover scraps that I had randomly piled together and serendipitously thought looking fetching together.

No comments: