Thursday, July 7, 2011

Barbeque star

My page for this week's Sketch Support is up. I made a layout, though the sketch is for a card. Here's what I did (click the images to see them larger):


I had two vertical photos of my husband barbequeing, so I decided to pair them with a journaling prompt from Ella's List It! Holiday Edition. I added the strips of paper and stars above and below the photos and journaling block.


I had fun pairing old and new with this layout. I used a lot of old scraps and some product from the stash--buttons, stickers, star punch--while also digging into the new--the Ella journaling spot and the October Afternoon big letter stickers. I was going for a color mix that reflected both summer and fourth of July.

I mentioned this on Sketch Support: After I had stitched the stars I realized they were not alligned. %#@*! I added the buttons to mask it a little.

Just in case you were wondering, my husband became a barbeque star after attending Kick Ass BBQ, a class he asked for one Father's Day. My boys can attest for how good he is now at making ribs: they're always suspicious of food that is unfamiliar, but both boys now love ribs thanks to Derick (and Kick Ass BBQ).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous detail work on this one! Awesome!

BabyBokChoy said...

I am really attracted to these awesome stars and the stitching across them!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beth Hallgren said...

Your stars look great to me!

Lynette Jacobs said...

I love how you turned the card sketch into a layout...I may just follow your lead;-)

Christine said...

I love it! I may have to copy your idea & use this for a layout too :)