Thursday, May 13, 2010

One more thing

I got some happy mail today: my returned layout from the February Scrapbook Trends magazine, along with some scrap goodies:

Lots of Hambly, plus some My Mind's Eye. Mmmmm...

The layout I made for today's LOAD is a scraplift from Studio Calico. Here's the layout I lifted by Jennifer T: I liked the design, even though it was made for a girl. I thought it would work for a boy too, so I switched out the accents and colors to make it more masculine.

When I finished the layout, I felt like it was still...unfinished. In particular, I thought it needed a stronger line down the middle. So I pulled out my sewing machine, set it to zig zag, and began.

Let it be known that I hate to sew. It seems to me that every time I sew, disasters occur. Like, say, the row of brads I put in a layout hooking onto the machine, snagging, and refusing to budge. So I try to loosen it, only to rip the page.

X%&#!

This is a great example of how my most creative and imaginative techniques come from the necessity of covering up mistakes. There are no mistakes, only creative opportunities. So to cover up the rip, linear ol' me set the machine to straight stitch (this time gently holding up the brad part of the page) and stitched row after row of wavy straight stitches. It mostly covers up the rip, or at least distracts one from trying to look for it. Here's the end result:

Job well done, with only a teeny bit of sewing swearing.

1 comment:

Diana said...

Love this post and your story of your rescue job. The LO looks great. Isn't the April kit just so amazing? I can't wait to dig in to it (hopefully this weekend!) Did you get all the add-ons like I did, or just the "boy" one?