Friday, March 14, 2014

Detail then reflect

I'm back from the dead! Not the dead really, but the dead time where I do nothing but grade at the end of the term. It's an honor and a privilege to assess student work, but wow, it takes time. I submitted my final grades and look forward to finishing up projects I began and planned last month!

Here's one I finished last night:


I used Studio Calico's February kit for this. When I get a lot of pink in a kit, I make a page about me. I may add some yellow to the strip  below the photo, just because I love yellow.

I began the page last month at a scrap retreat I went to up north (COLD), but I had to finish the journaling at home. This is one of my 100 moments pages. It was REALLY HARD for me to scrap this photo. Not my best moment in history, but it is my history, and it was a story that influenced me, and so I scrap it.

I tried to apply what I am teaching my students now who are writing a reflective essay: detail your story, then reflect on it. Say what happened, then say why it was important and why you want to remember it. When I'm stuck in journaling, this technique helps me a lot.

I also want to honor my dad. We are not too similar--the apple fell far from the tree, and we have to have a common agreement not to mention anything political so as to keep the peace--but I honor the sacrifices and gifts he gave me growing up, so I record them in scrapbooking. I want people to remember my high points, so I try to do the same for others in my life.

Now that I will not be collecting papers to grade for about a month, I look forward to scrapping and sharing more of what I've made and am making lately. I have pictures waiting for me at National Camera Exchange of the Big Melt that's going on right now, and I look forward to playing with paper and embellishments and stories again.

1 comment:

Michelle t said...

Pretty layout. I really like the stitching it adds so much to a layout. I just taught myself a back stitch with the sew easy tool. Anyway the colors are so soft and pretty. Came over from write.click.scrapbook. Michelle t