Saturday, February 16, 2013

Stitching on my pages: from the Scrapinar

Wednesday I had a wonderful evening participating as a panelist in a scrapinar on stitching for Lain Ehmann. I made my first video tutorial, this time on stitching on layouts,* and I spent some time answering questions on stitching and enjoying the company of people who love this craft of ours. You can see my video here.

It's fitting, I suppose, that the first video I made is on stitching. I have sewn and cross-stitched for a long time. I am cross-stitching a sampler right now with a verse ("The diligent farmer plants tress of which he himself will never see the fruit") and sewing various Star Wars crafts. I also had two pages this week picked up for the July Scrapbook Trends magazine, both of which included stitching, and one of which will be published in the stitching section. I love to add stitches to my pages. Love.

I wanted to share the pages I made for that scrapinar, plus some extra tidbits I didn't share in the scrapinar, which of course came to me after it was done. (For the record, I used Studio Calico's January kit Block Party for all of these layouts. I added bits from my stash as well, since these were the last pages I made with the kit.)

Here's the first page I made, which highlights the machine stitching I tend to do:


I didn't do any hand stitching on this page, but I did some typical machine stitching as a frame and to zig zag some elements together at the top of the page.  Here's some details:



Here's the second page I did. I love the design, and I hand stitched the tickets together to add some contrasting color and texture to the page. I also stitched a line through one of the paper strips (just me stripping on a page again, LOL!) to add some texture. Plus, a confession: I had used an adhesive eraser to remove some gummed up adhesive, and it damaged the patterned paper. The stitching distracts from my damage.



Here's the third page, probably my favorite since it depicts the group I scrap with, the Scrappin' J's. On that note, mad props to the first J's: Janet for taking photos of me stitching that I used in my video; Sandra, which was going to but got sick; Jennifer, who took the photos in the above layout; and Jolene, who at first couldn't believe I sewed on pages but now does so beautifully herself.

I hand and machine stitched on this page:



And the last layout, a gift I made for my parents (they're not interested in much else but scrapbooking pages from me). I hand stitched circles using my Bazzill template and I machine stitched the title and date.


  

Note: looking above, you can see that super thin letters are not good to stitch on. Learn my lesson before you stitch and only sew on thick letters/numbers like the ones below:


 Thank you for viewing my pages! And now share: do you stitch on your layouts? If so, what do you tend to do?

*Just a quick note: I am planning on making two more videos at least, one of heat embossing multiple colors at once and another on making a mini album. Come back and share in the videos! I'm hoping to make one or two a month, possibly more when I'm not grading papers in the summer (heh).

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Your pages are fabulous! They always are. I love all the little bits and pieces you add. I have yet to pull out my machine to use on paper. I have a Janome sewing machine, but have only used it on fabric. I do have a TON of DMC floss. At one point, I had over 6 floss boxes full of about almost every color, or so it felt like. :) I gave a bunch away to an online friend. I have been cross stitching for 25 years. I started when my oldest was born and it has taken a backseat because of scrapbooking. Every now and then, I do some backstitches on my pages. The scrap store up in Pine City looks neat. Didn't realize there was one up there. I would like to go see the one in Rochester too.

Diana Waite said...

what inspiring layouts--thanks for sharing!