Thursday, September 3, 2009

Designing with Sketches

I tend not to use sketches because for me they take a long time. Case in point: Tonight I was working on a single photo layout and was stumped, so I pulled out a few magazines and books and started searching through them for single photo layout ideas. Nothing worked with the photo I had. I put aside the sketches, pulled out some product, spent the same amount of time designing and finished the layout sans sketch. I'll share that layout tomorrow.

Even though I don't use others' sketches, I do make my own. Here's a couple pages from my sketch book:


You can see that I do not draw to scale, so I have to rework them as I do them. When I finished, I write "DONE" on it. And as you can see on the right, I sometimes use my sketchbook for a to-do list.

This first layout is the sketch from the upper left:


I switched where the red photo block would go, dropped a picture, and added embellishments.

The next is the sketch from the upper right:

It transformed from a 12x12 to an 8 1/2x11 layout based on the orientation of the photos.

The next two use sketches, but from pages I didn't show. This first used products from a kit from Scarlet Lime:
I can't tell you how much my son liked this layout. He studied it, and then I found out why: He reproduced his Hot Wheel contraption.

This next is a small page about the five things I do every day that leave me having a good day:
I had some Making Memories Flower Patch papers out to get ready to scrap Easter, but I thought they looked good with my purple shirt. And I never scrap purple, so green it was.

That's my process with sketches. I'll post two more pages tomorrow; I did them without sketches, but I like the end product on them.

3 comments:

  1. Love what you did with your OLW layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOur pages are lovely! I like how they are creative, unique and trendy (but not overally so) all at once. Beautiful work - especially the LO about Every Day - totally might steal that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the LO about yourself. Lately I've been inspired to include more pictures of myself. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading my blog! Please leave a comment.