Friday, April 2, 2010

Autism Awareness

I had some trouble posting earlier--lost the whole post--so hopefully this will work now.

My son was diagnosed with autism at 3 1/2. Specifically, he is identified as PDD-NOS (pervasive developmental disorder, not otherwise specified). Since then he has been receiving services to help him learn to interact appropriately with others. He's come far in the time since his diagnosis, and I'm grateful to all the help we've received. Here's a layout I made a year or so ago expressing gratitude to those who have helped him progress.


I have occasionally scrapped his autism. That is not the only thing I scrap about him, nor have I done a whole album regarding his autism. It's a part of him, but autism is not the whole of him. I scrap everything that makes him who he is.


This might be the first page I made about his diagnosis. It's a funny story, and those are my favorite pages to scrap about him.


This layout reflects on one of the initial signs of his autism--his incisive visual acuity. He loved this yellow car die cut from Archiver's--he carried it around for a long time. I was glad to put it on the page.


I'm sorry this journaling isn't easily read. It was the story of a time he asked me to make his napkin into a circle, a request that I was for a long time clueless to fulfill. I finally got what he meant. Dominic's verbal skills are pretty good, but still not as good as neurotypical kids, and since he's smart, he can fake knowing more words than he actually does. I need to remember that.


This was the latest LO I made, just finished today. I was inspired by my...let's call it "distaste"...for the word "tolerance." I don't think that should be the goal. I expressed how I felt in the journaling, which for some reason I can't post. I hope you can read it.

9 comments:

Teresa Jaye said...

Jennifer, your layouts are awesome! Your journaling on the "More than Tolerance" layout is perfectly stated and very well written - a lesson for all. Your son is adorable, I love his head of gorgeous blonde hair and his beautiful smile!

Diana said...

I was having trouble with blogger earlier too... .
Anyway, brava ragazza for a very touching and inspiring post. I love how you have, through scrapbooking, celebrated your son and his life, "challenges" and all. The last page especially, more than tolerance, was really wonderful--the journaling was so powerful, at the same time as the page design was great. All of them are fabulous, actually, design-wise. I especially love the orange and black & white of the first layout.

Jackie said...

The LO's are beautiful, and meaningful -which is so much more the point. Your pages are a great reminder to document more about who our children are - all of their parts - not just the happy moments or the "events".

Sherrie said...

Hi!
These are all great pages. They celebrate who your son is. Have a great day!

Sherrie
My Journal
http://sherriesjournal.blogspot.com/2010/04/sketchy-thursday.html

alexandra s.m. said...

Wonderful pages! Thank you for sharing Jenny! you're such a great Mom!

Happy EASTER <3

Bev said...

Love all the layouts and the one for Sketchy Thursdays ie the Tolerance one really hits a note with me as we are currently in the process of getting a diagnosis for our DD who may have aspergers Awesome journalling and an awesome layout!!

Adora Concepcion said...

i love your layouts and your take on the challenge! :)

Adora

Shannon Bogan said...

I love your heartfelt layouts! They're beautiful!

Love your take on the challenge. Great details!

Thanks for playing along!
~Shannon, Sketchy Thursdays DT

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

these are all AMAZING!!! What a wonderful heart U and your son have!!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee them all!!! thanks sooooooooooooooo much for playing along with sketchy thursdays! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)